Alongside empowering and supporting you, NYAS' goal is to ensure that you are cared for and safe. All of our staff, including advocates, volunteers and independent inspectors, have to complete a thorough background check before working for NYAS.
We safeguard the children, young people and adults that we support by:
- Valuing them, listening to and respecting them
- Adopting child protection guidelines through our procedures and a code of conduct for our workforce, self-employed contractors, volunteers, trustees and students
- Sharing information about concerns with relevant agencies who need to know
- Providing effective leadership to all our workforce including self-employed contractors, volunteers, trustees and students through supervision, support and training.
- Ensuring appropriate action is taken in the event of incidents/concerns of abuse. Support is provided to the individual(s) who raise or disclose any concerns.
- Making sure that confidential, detailed and accurate records of all safeguarding concerns are maintained and securely stored
- Practising safer recruitment guidelines
- Ensuring robust safeguarding arrangements and procedures are in operation across the organisation.
If you are ever concerned about your safety, or feel you're not being cared for, you can contact the NYAS Helpline. If you feel that any of the support you have received from NYAS has made you feel unsupported, uncomfortable or unsafe, you can tell your social worker or send us a complaint so that we can improve in the future.