Transitioning into Adulthood

If you have grown up or spent time in care, you may not have a family home to return to if something goes wrong, or a parent to phone when you aren’t sure how to fix a problem. That’s where NYAS can help. Young people often tell us they’re missing the skills and trusted people they need to help them navigate this new chapter in their lives.

We believe every young person leaving care should have access to the help and support they need to thrive. We understand it can be difficult to live independently. This is why NYAS offers a range of support options for young people after they leave care, giving you the opportunity to embrace your new freedom. 

Side by Side Care Leaver Programme

Our Side by Side Care leaver programme will match you with a local volunteer, who will provide support and offer guidance after you leave the care system.

The Knapman Fund

The Knapman Fund is a care leaver bursary managed by NYAS. This grant is available for care-leavers aged 16-25 living in England and Wales who have previously been supported by NYAS.

This care leaver bursary distributes grants up to £500 to help you transition into adulthod. The Knapman Fund can fund a range of items, such as household goods, training courses, driving lessons and laptops.

Contact for more information. 

Advocacy Support

Leaving care can be overwhelming, and you might have a lot of questions.

If you need someone independent to talk to, feel like you’re not getting the right support or you don't think your voice is being listened to then you have the right to ask for an independent advocate. They can help you to share how you're feeling, and allow you to communicate this to people who can help you make a change.

If you would like an independent advocate please call our national freephone helpline on 0808 808 1001 (Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm) or email

Know Your Rights and Entitlements

As a care leaver, you have certain rights and entitlements which you should receive from your local authority.

However, finding this information can often be challenging and frustrating. To help you understand what you're entitled to, our Care Leaver FAQ guide explains all of your rights. 

You can also learn more about care leaver entitlements across England and Wales in our Across the Border research series, or visit the Care Leaver Local Offer website to find out what support is offered in your local area.

Frequently Asked Questions

Not Sure What Help You Need?

If you're a care leaver with more questions about the support available to you, or you want to access any of NYAS' services, just get in touch.

Get in Touch!

Keep in touch!

Sign up to receive email updates about our work, including our campaigning and fundraising efforts. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Follow us

Stay up to date on social media